It is clear from extensive research by various experts in a number of management and scientific areas that the business world as we know it is changing. This means that business management is complex, whether in developed, developing or underdeveloped contexts. Every business – whether in manufacturing, mining, retail or financial services – requires the same basic input resources. These include water and energy. Of course output is also the same: carbon emissions, and waste.
To be more sustainable in future, companies also need to understand that their entire value chain requires consideration. New accounting models consider impact and risk across the value chain – financial analysis in particular. Shareholders need to consider how a company will use innovation and collaboration to compete in such a resource constrained world.
Sustainability management and sustainable business models offer companies opportunities to reconsider the way they currently create value – and how growth, efficiencies and profitability can be enhanced in the future.
Our approach to sustainability strategy development
We understand that businesses need to confidently manage risk and impact as well as innovate and differentiate.
We recognise that each client is different, so our approach is to first get a rigorous understanding of your specific business context.
Next Generation Consultants has worked extensively on the African continent, both in developed and developing country contexts. Additionally, our comprehensive knowledge across industry sectors has given us a deep understanding of the complexity of integrated business models.
We apply our knowledge to the specific operating environment of our clients, to assist in managing risk and impact. Our consultants’ specialist knowledge and research capabilities ensure that our clients can continue to create value for their stakeholders, and in the process become more resilient, profitable and sustainable.
Sustainability as a competitive advantage
For our clients the ability to remain competitive and differentiate in a complex environment remains critical. Therefore we understand that being compliant is only the first step. We do not treat sustainability as merely a governance issue or a box to be ticked. We focus on company-specific, industry-specific and country-specific solutions that enhance business models to ensure that sustainability becomes a competitive advantage for our clients.
We put together a team of specialist consultants for each phase of your journey towards greater sustainability. This ensures integrated thinking and aligns sustainability with all your business aspects and functions.
From our extensive experience it is clear that becoming more sustainable requires specific and detailed processes. It really starts with understanding the business model; the value chain; the stakeholders; and the economic, social and environmental value that is being created through the business processes. Together with internal stakeholders we develop extensive sustainability strategies that incorporate opportunities, risks and impacts.
This road map provides our clients with clear priorities and direction – so that internal and external stakeholders have confidence in the organisation’s ability to continue to grow, and be profitable and sustainable.
We’ve developed a process that can get you there quickly.
Together with your internal stakeholders, we create a sustainability plan based on your goals, risks and opportunities, external and internal pressures, and resources. This roadmap will provide you with clear priorities and directions. So you can move forward with confidence, knowing that sustainability is not just the right thing to do, but also a great business decision.
For us it is not just about a sustainability or integrated report. We understand that to reach this outcome you may require different support services.
We take a holistic approach to sustainability strategy development, assisting you with:
- Enterprise-wide sustainability strategy development – and/or specific operational or divisional sustainability strategy development.
- Capacity building and skills development through training and facilitation – to ensure support and buy-in for sustainability initiatives, strategies and policies.
- Stakeholder relations, engagement and analysis, review and management – to ensure that your approach to sustainability is integrated and aligned, and includes all the reasonable expectations of internal and external stakeholders.
- Sustainable supply chain management – including product and life cycle analysis to ensure that your entire value chain is sustainable into the future.
- Sustainability and integrated reporting, including assurance, audit and review – to ensure that your information is credible and reliable enough to be used throughout your company, and in decision-making and strategy setting.
- Research, benchmarking and review of sustainability initiatives, programmes and reports – we are well known for our extensive knowledge of industry sectors, reporting standards and sustainability practices. This will ensure that your strategies, policies, standards and reports can be benchmarked globally.
- Human rights management – including risk and impact assessments, due diligence and policy development. We have developed extensive tools to assist with creating awareness, training and facilitating, implementing and integrating human rights practices across your company and value chain. We consider risk, impact, compliance and governance throughout our processes.